Yes indeedy I signed up, I need something to get excited about. Other than exams, although i guess the end is exciting. I signed up for something else very exciting yesterday too but that's another story (or at least another post?). So mysterious sendee who right now could be anyone in the whole wide world, here are my answers to the questions (I did sp6, so my answers to that questionnaire are around, crosscheck them if you like. I haven't, but I'm fickle and indecisive so I don't expect they'll correspond perfectly): 1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Favourite yarns? I like lots of yarns, and there are many I haven't tried. Mostly I'm a yarn snob, I can't stand acrylic. Most mohair makes me pretty itchy, as does alpaca. I've never seen a really multi-coloured variegated or handpainted yarn that I liked, but subtle is good. I like suprises :)
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Well when I actually sort them out I will use the cool needle box I got as a prize for the craftster create your twin challenge *scroll down - isn't it cute?* But my dpns are in a shoe box (supposed to be in a shoe box, they're all over the place), they could do with some love. 3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learnt to knit as a kid and hated it, I was determined to use tiny needles and too thick yarn and always ended up in a sticky mess. I picked it up again when a friend saw the kittyville devil hat on the internet and decided that since I at least knew how to knit in theory I should make it for her for xmas, that was about 4 years ago. Jump forward a couple of years and find me with a boring office job and an inspiring craftster addiction, that's when I really got into knitting. Meh you didn't ask for a story? Tough. I would consider myself an intermediate, determined experimental knitter. But I have pretty high criteria of what constitues advanced. It involves two handed colour work while reading, and is probably not achievable. 4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I have an Amazon one, it needs updated though. 5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Hmmm... I don't really have one. I hate scented candles (I like beeswax, but I have more candles than I use already). As for bath products and stuff, I have very sensitive skin and react to most artificial perfumes and stuff like that. But I like things made of natural ingredients, with delicate scents. I don't really think of bath products and stuff as very exciting though - make up is an entirely different matter. Take me to a good cosmetics counter and suddenly I turn into a girl.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love baking, and baked things but I don't eat many sweets. I like dark chocolate, nuts and ginger though. 7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I've always been very crafty and like making all kinds of things. I sew, embroider, crochet, draw, write stories, make films, make dolls, bead, needle felt, dye yarn... I could go on here but it might get a bit lenghty. I don't spin, and I have been meaning to for so long. I even bought roving, but I have nothing to spin it with.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have pretty eclectic (or weird depending on your point of view) music tastes, I suppose my Amazon wish list might give you some idea. I can play mp3s, I mostly listen to music on my laptop, or on vinyl. My cd collection is either in a box under my bed (books needed the shelves) and in my shared kitchen. I love getting mix cds and hearing new things.
*edit - see above post of album covers, for an idea of my tastes.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I'm pretty fussy about colour, but it's got a lot more to do with individual examples than actually a colour that I hate, I guess I have a good eye. I think all colours / colour families have the potential to be good, but many are just not quite right. I wouldn't knit a bright yellow jumper though. 10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm single, I have no pets (or children for that matter - we're trying to convince my flatmate to get a mail order bride and have a kid so I can knit for it - and the bride can cook clean etc, but haven't had much luck yet). I have flatmates, they're always up for sharing sweets I guess. 11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Why is poncho in this question, the others are classic wardrobe staples and pretty much a necessity in Scotland - but ponchos? Ponchos are stupid and that is all I have to say on the matter. 12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I like socks, hats and sweaters. Mostly those are the things I knit, but I like knitting odd things too, like porn. Heehee. 13. What are you knitting right now? Rosa, simple socks while I study, a bulky cable hat I'm designing, pomatomus knee socks, another hat, and I've swatched for a couple of new sweater designs. 14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Of course. Doesn't everyone? I'm aware some people don't, but they must be missing something. 15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I don't really have a favourite kind of needle, it all depends on the project and yarn. 16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I really need to get them, I have so much yarn to wind. I'm pretty good at winding balls by hand (with a makeshift nostepine) but it's incredibly slow. 17. How did you learn to knit? My mother tried to teach me when I wee. I taught myself again from books and the internet. I actually learn better from diagrams and descriptions than real people.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I'm not sure, I don't think I have anything older than a few months that I'm actually planning on finishing.
19. What is your favorite holiday? Ok, well I have never considered that before, but I suppose Halloween - I love dressing up. Not that I need the excuse that everyone else is doing so.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
I've always liked the idea of collections, but in practice no not really. I can't think of anything I have enough of to call a collection anyway. - wait, I collect books and yarn. I most defintely have those in the quantities to be called a collection.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any subscriptions at all. *blush*. Magazines always seem to repeat stuff that is already online, and I don't knit that much from other people's patterns. There is something I like about magazines though, I used to have a subscription to Bust, and have been known to buy expensive fashion magazines for the inspiration. Books? I guess I'm more interested in technique books and stitch dictionaries than pattern books, literally the only one I own is Vogue knitting, and it wasn't nearly as comprehensive / useful as I'd hoped. I could probably use a good stitch dictionary. I have been meaning to buy Big Girl Knits (umm yes I'm small, but I think it would be useful). I've been thinking of buying some acid dyes as well.
*edit - I thought of yarn, I would love some cotton/lycra blend sock yarn. I need summer socks :).
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? There's always something, but I can't think of anything specific. 23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Oh yeah. Why do you ask about my feet? Well whatever the reason, my feet are about 9" long and 8.5" in circumference. I have very skinny heels / ankles and big calves so unless socks are very short I have to add shaping there. 24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
The first of July, and this year I come of age. That may mean nothing in practice these days, but it still seems like it should). (oh dear, I don't see how this can help you mysterious one, on your quest for the treasure - but I wish you luck and can't wait to hear from you)