Peek-a-boo Proper blogging tomorrow I promise. I have a few things to share. Anyway, if you happen to be my secret pal, curious enough to have noticed that my 'about' page doesn't exist, or have a strange desire to send me gifts you can read my answers to this questionnaire behind the cut. I do plan on putting up that about page sometime, and you can find me on myspace and facebook if you want, but I got bored after a few minutes of making those profiles so I haven't filled in much that isn't a yes/no tick box type thing.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Wool, silk and cotton are all favourites. I don't really have a favourite yarn though, I like to try new things. I like natural fibres, but not only super expensive luxury things. I hate acrylic, I'm ambivalent about microfibre, have no interest in novelty yarns, find 100% alpaca and 100% mohair itchy, and I think I like everything else. I'm kind of interested at the moment in unusual fibres, fair trade, less commercial things (like wool bought directly from the makers etc). hmm... I should write an actual post about that interest sometime. I'd love something that's local to you.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a Jordana Paige needle holder for straights, a ringbinder full of circulars, a shoebox and some jars full of dpns - and a flat covered in random needles. Not the most organised person clearly.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I have no idea how to answer that question. I learnt a few times as a kid, but I had more interest in other crafts. I remember making a few things though, like a 1/12th scale jumper from darning wool knitted on pins (as in dressmaking pins) when I was 13 or so. Strange child indeed. I picked it up again a few years ago, and I've been knitting pretty regularly for the last 3 years. Skill level? Thoughtful, stubborn, unafraid and fairly interested in maths - advanced I guess although there are many things I've never actually done that wouldn't stop me trying to explain how to.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I just made one 5. What's your favorite scent? Scents, other than things smelling like themselves, make me sneeze. 6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I like dark chocolate, ginger, honey and chocolate with peanut butter. Generally I'm not a huge fan of most commercial sweets though - and technically I'm not supposed to drink milk.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Umm... have a look around. I'm pretty generally creative / crafty. I went to a spinning workshop when I was seven and haven't done it since. Have been meaning to get a spindle for a while though.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
This post will give you a rough idea. I can play anything and have fairly eclectic tastes.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm fussy about colours, but I don't have any specific hates. I think there can be good shades of every colour. My blog and flickr account will probably give a good idea of my tastes. I don't like mutli-coloured generally, though. 10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Just little me.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
When are they going to take ponchos out of this question. Does anyone ever wear them? Yes to the others, of course - and gloves.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Umm... mostly I make things I would wear. (ha! that could be anything, my wardrobe is sort of odd). I like designing though, and don't really have time to knit from other people's patterns unless there's a construction technique I'm really fascinated by. 13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm working on way too many things right now. A lace camisole, possibly another camisole, a sort of bolero thing, a cardigan commissioned for a family friend, some other things. I've been a bit distracted from the knitting recently, but I'm looking forward to sorting these projects out. Oh yes and a hoodie.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
*squee* I love too, but I don't very often - too many people think I'm the crafty one
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Metal circulars mostly, but it does depend on the yarn / project. 16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a swift, and I'm good at winding centre pull balls with whatever makeshift nostepinne I can find but a yarn winder would be useful.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably since last summer. I have a few things on the back burner.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, although it's been disappointing for the last couple of years. Not too convenient in relation to uni deadlines. Won't have that problem this year.
19. Is there anything that you collect? I'd like to collect vintage fabric, trims, buttons and other notions. My collections are a little shameful at the moment however. 20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a subscription to Interweave, but I've been pretty disappointed with it - mostly because I was expecting more articles and stuff to actually read. This says more about me than the magazine really - I'm not so interested in patterns. I'm thrilled that Eunny is the new editor though. At the moment I think the only magazines I want to see are Craft and Selvage. Oh and I'm sure I'll buy the next Yarn Forward (no I don't have anything in it this time), but I'd like to again in the future and it's certainly a project I want to support. As for books I'm more interested in technique and resource books (like stitch dictionaries) than patterns. Oh and vintage books and magazines (from the 30s - 60s mostly) are always inspiring. 21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I can't think of anything specific.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I seem to have lost interest in socks recently. My feet are a Uk 5-1/2. I have no idea why that question is here though.
23. When is your birthday?
July the first. (I'll be 22)